Interview with Christoph Fischer

It’s been a while since I blogged. I’ve been doing that thing that writers do, writing. But more of that another time. Today I am focusing on another writer, Christoph Fischer. I met him through the Indie Authors Review Exchange Group on facebook. We read and enjoyed one another’s books, and out of our mutual respect a dialogue gradually evolved. A few months ago, before a major move in his life to a dream location in Wales, Christoph interviewed me on his blog: http://writerchristophfischer.wordpress.com Afterwards, I realised how much more I could learn about him by asking him some of the same searching questions. This interview is the result.

Christoph Fischer

Christoph, begin by telling me about your writing history. When was the first time you decided to write and when was the first time you did?

I always had a bit of a lively imagination. I wrote a few articles for my school’s student newspaper when I was younger. Then I did nothing of the sort for over twenty years until a psychic told me that I would write a book. I found it amusing. Then a different psychic told me the same thing and that raised my interest. Five years ago I sat down to try it. I wrote the first draft for Conditions and I haven’t stopped since.

Did anyone influence you / encourage you to become a writer?

My father was an avid reader; both my parents always encouraged creativity of any kind and I also had some excellent literature teachers when I was young. My sister and my partner were my first readers. They liked my books and gave me the confidence to show them to more people. My close friend and cover designer Daz Smith was the one who eventually pushed me to publish.

When did you decide to write in your chosen genre(s)

I’m an impulsive writer and would find it hard to stick with just one genre. I write about what interests me. For a while I got stuck in historical fiction because I love history. The research for one book always seemed to raise points of interest for the next one. I also wrote about mental health and Alzheimer’s disease, issues close to my heart. In January I published a thriller. I started out writing it as a book about Western medicine versus alternative healing but the story was better suited for a thriller.

What are you working on now?

I’m working on another thriller called The Gamblers. An accountant with a penchant for numbers and gambling wins the Lottery. He falls under the spell of a charismatic gambler and falls in love with a stewardess. After a brief honeymoon period things become very dubious and he finds himself torn between blind trust and paranoia.

Who would you cast to play the characters in a movie?

For Ben, the accountant, I would choose Ewan McGregor or Edward Norton.
Mirco, the gambler, could be played by either Alexander Skarsgard or Matthew McConaughey. Wendy, the stewardess could be played by Scarlett Johanson or Naomi Watts.

What song would you pick to go with your book?

There is a German song from 1986 called “Der Spieler” that partially inspired the book. Very moody and mysterious but it does not travel or translate well…
For the English version I would suggest “The Winner Takes It All” by Abba… or “Money Money Money” by Abba, or “Name of the Game” by Abba – even “Waterloo”….

How do you balance marketing one book and writing the next?

Not sleeping. Not eating. Not answering the phone. Hide!

What do you like best about writing? What’s your least favourite thing?

Writing the first draft is the most enjoyable part for me: Not knowing for sure how the story is going to end and having all the options open.
My least favourite part is the marketing. I’d rather not tell people that my books are must-reads and would love it if people could be dears and discover my work quietly on their own.

What do you do when you don’t write?

Walk my dogs, go to the gym, read and watch silly comedy programmes on TV. Throw in the odd meditation and quality time with the family.

What makes you laugh?

Friends, Brooklyn 99, Big Bang Theory, Woody Allen, adolescent humour.

Who would you like to invite for dinner?

Susan Sarandon and Stephen Hawkins. I’d imagine them to be interesting guests.

How do you handle criticism of your work?

After a few years in the ‘business’ I think I handle it very well.
Constructive criticism can be very helpful to become a better writer and I’ll always welcome that.
If someone read my book, engaged with it and didn’t like it, fair enough. And those who use reviews to offload anger and hate – that comes with the territory of publishing and has to be endured. I don’t like it but I see it for what it is.
I also own a shotgun…

The book I read by Christoph that really made me sit up and notice him was The Healer

The Healer

When advertising executive Erica Whittaker is diagnosed with terminal cancer, western medicine fails her. The only hope left for her to survive is controversial healer Arpan. She locates the man whose touch could heal her but finds he has retired from the limelight and refuses to treat her. Erica, consumed by stage four pancreatic cancer, is desperate and desperate people are no longer logical nor are they willing to take no for an answer. Arpan has retired for good reasons, casting more than the shadow of a doubt over his abilities. So begins a journey that will challenge them both as the past threatens to catch up with him as much as with her. Can he really heal her? Can she trust him with her life? And will they both achieve what they set out to do before running out of time?

I thoroughly recommend The Healer. In fact I gave it a 5*review on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3PY5WRS9PN9TE/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00QIJ4DJ6&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=133140011&store=digital-text

If your interest has been aroused the following links will connect you with it:

Amazon: http://smarturl.it/thehealerthriller
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23662030-the-healer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheHealerNovelbyChristophFischer?ref=hl

You can find details of all Christoph’s books on his website: http://www.christophfischerbooks.com

And at his Amazon Author Page: http:///www.amazon.co.uk/Christoph-Fischer/e/B00CLO9VMQ

7 thoughts on “Interview with Christoph Fischer”

1. I am partway through The Healer. Had to pause to read some other books (am in two local book groups) and cannot wait to get back to it!

I completely agree with your desire that people might have the decency to quietly discover our works on their own and leave us to get on with more writing….. If only.

2. Great interview, Lesley. I haven’t read Mr. Fischer, but I’ll admit that I’m intrigued. Especially since a medium played a part in his career 🙂 It’s unusual and exciting!

3. Not sleeping. Not eating. Not answering the phone. Hide! << Priceless, Christoph. I believe it about you too! Great interview.

Thanks Lesley for showing us more of a wonderful and supportive author,

eden